I have not seen the 1981 rendition, but I will say the 2010 Clash of the Titans (the 2D version) was fairly nice. A fascination with Greek mythology also helps, as in my case, and it is fun to see the fight of gods from a modern lens.
Warning: SPOILERS below.
- Sam Worthington’s acting of Perseus, the main character.
- Special effects in general.
- Liam Neeson as Zeus. The part where he says “Release the Kraken!” is epic.
- All ground-based fight scenes, including slow motion.
- The introduction.
- Scenes in the forest.
- The freelance hunters.
- The overall excitement.
- Parts without action. (Yes, of course a movie—even an action movie—should not be pure action, but in this movie most parts without it seemed really dull.)
- Not extremely accurate to real mythology. This is only a minor flaw.
- The scenes in the desert were mostly reflective of their environment—dry, barren.
- The fight scene with the Kraken at the end.
- The Stygian Witches scene.
- The Medusa fight scene.
- Dramatic music, especially parts where the pitch is repeatedly climbing.
- Any scene involving one or more gods; in particular, the special effects for Hades.
It is overall an excellent movie. It’s just that the Kraken fight was supposed to be the big fight, but was instead very anti-climactic. The climax seemed rather to be the Medusa fight, which was very good.